What is Autism?
Why Support People with Autism?
- Autism now affects 1 in 59 children
- Autism occurs in all racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood disorders
- In 2012, the National Institutes of Health allocated a meager $169 million (out of $30.86 billion) directly to autism research – a mere 0.55% of its budget
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- 1.5 million people in the US have some form of autism (over 42,000 are affected in South Carolina alone)
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism...
How LAF Can Help
LAF Provides a personalized roadmap for Autism Services in the Lowcounry. Whether you are seeking an initial diagnostic assessment for your toddler or seeking support for your adult family member we provide you with information and make appropriate referrals to meet your needs. Learn more about how LAF can help.